2014 Annual Composition Contest
Since 2000, the AOA has been active in the commissioning of new works of music for the All-State Orchestra Festival. Each year, one or more works has received its World Premiere Performance at the All-State Orchestra Festival. In addition, the composers have spent the weekend in residence at the Festival. Previous composers have included Stella Sung, Alan Moss, David Durant, James Grant, David Ott, James Woodward, Sandra Dackow, James Lee, Lanette Lind, Philip Wharton, Robert J. Bradshaw, Ryan Fraley, Daniel Leo Simpson, Sean Pallatroni, Elizabeth Lim, and David Rimelis.
In February of 2006, the membership of the Alabama Orchestra Association resolved to make the annual commissioning program into the Alabama Orchestra Association Composition Competition.
The winning composer will receive a cash award of $1,500. In addition, the winning composition will be performed at the 2014 Alabama All-State Orchestra Festival at the University Of Alabama in Tuscaloosa on February 16, 2014. The winning composer will also be awarded a residency at the 2014 Alabama All-State Orchestra Festival, which will include airfare from any point in the continental US, accommodations, transportation, and meals.
All materials must be RECEIVED by October 1, 2013. Notification of the results of the competition will be made by December 1, 2013.
- Submissions should be original, previously unpublished compositions for orchestra (instrumentation listed below).
- The submitted composition must have been composed between January 1, 2011 and October 1, 2013 and must not be published by a major concert or educational publishing house.
- The submitted composition should not have received a previous public performance. The performance at the Alabama All-State Orchestra Festival should be the World Premiere Performance of the work.
- The composition should be for full orchestra. Orchestration can not exceed:
- 3 Flutes (3rd doubles piccolo)
- 2 Oboes
- 2 Clarinets
- 2 Bassoons
- 5 Horns
- 3 Trumpets
- 2 Tenor Trombones
- 1 Bass Trombone
- 1 Tuba
- 1 Timpani
- 2 Percussion
- First Violins
- Second Violins
- String Basses
- Works that call for additional instruments will not be considered.
- The duration should be no less than five minutes and no greater than ten minutes.
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application Form.
- Three copies of the complete score of the composition (no piano reductions).
- Biographical information, including music studies, background, and experience.
- List of compositions to date.
- A DVD or CD of the composition [electronic simulations will be accepted].
- Only one composition per composer may be submitted.
- The score submitted must be legible and must bear the composer's name.
- Recordings must bear the composer's name and the title of the work.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage if you wish to have your materials returned.
- $25 entry fee, USD payable to Alabama Orchestra Association.
Mail materials to the following address:
Julie Hornstein, Executive Director
Alabama Orchestra Association
Attn: Composition Competition
101 Jodie Drive
Huntsville, AL 35811-9690
Download the Application Form